Developed with Aboriginal cultural values, beliefs and traditions in mind, the Aboriginal Supported Child Development program (ASCD) is a provincially funded program that is designed to specifically meet the needs of Aboriginal children who have extra support needs. ASCD staff assists families and child care providers who are caring for Aboriginal children with extra support needs, in planning for individual and/or groups of children to ensure their inclusion in day to day activities. ASCD values our unique ways of knowing, being, and doing and recognizes relationships as being integral to the effectiveness of ASCD programming and the wellness of our children and families. ASCD believes the importance of inclusion and providing early intervention supports during the early stages of development.
To enable children who require extra supports to be included in child care settings and communities. Such inclusion nurtures a child’s self-esteem, identity, and allows children to participate in settings that will support their development along with their peers.
ASCD Program Details:
Designed to ensure cultural safety and cultural sensitivity for First Nations, Metis, and Inuit children and families, the ASCD program provides services for children who require extra support in the following areas: Physical Development, Cognitive Development, Communicative Development, Social/ Emotional Development, and Behaviour.
Families can include birth, extended, adopted, and foster families. Aboriginal families can be living on or off reserve. There is no cost for this service.
Services available to families can include:
- Assistance finding child care
- Support and consultant with families and child care programs
- Individual planning
- Extra staffing support if needed in childcare programs
- Training and support for families and child care providers
- Assistance accessing other community resources
- Developmental screening and assessments at the request of the family
Support may takes place in a variety of setting such as:
- Preschool settings and Head Start programs
- Daycare, family child care or After school care programs